Tuesday, May 22, 2007

ICFF Day 3: The Best of the Rest

I'm heading back home today, but I wanted to share a few more ICFF photos before I leave - we'll just have to file this post under 'miscellaneous'...

While I had a great time at this year's fair, there wasn't that much in the way of dazzling design. There were a lot of really nice pieces, but very few of them made you say 'wow' as you walked away. Being my first fair, I don't have much to compare it to - overall it just felt very "safe" to me.

I still have some coverage to share of all the events surrounding ICFF, including a tour of Tobias Wong's Wrong Store and Jaime Hayon's exhibit. But for now, here's the best of the rest from ICFF 2007:

This chandelier is beautiful - it's a light that can also hold plants or cut flowers in the individual fixtures. By Waawiz of Japan.

I was excited to see Maxim Velcovsky of Qubus design studio showing his work. I recently posted about his dinnerware on designklub, and it was great to see his ceramic pieces in person. I spoke with Maxim for a little while and hopefully I'll be doing an interview with him soon. He's definitely on my 'one to watch' list.


Anna & Sean from Sub-Studio and I all agreed that these lights by Thai designers Tazana were among the best. They are actually made up of individual plastic pieces linked together, forming these wonderful, intricate designs.

I really liked this room divider, although I can't remember who it's from - I'll have to look it up when I get home. It reminded me of a green felt forest.


The layout of the Thout booth was great; there were homemade touches everywhere, which was a nice change after seeing row upon row of overly sleek Italian exhibits. Thout had several fun pieces on display, including their "UtiliTILE' series - panels with pop-out features, which hold everything from spices to silverware.

'OTT' hooks from Viable.

This picture doesn't convey the true glory of this design. SAC A FAIRE is a system that offers you ten bags in one. Each sheet of tyvek contains the layout for 10 different styles of bags. You simply choose the one you like, cut along the dotted lines, fold or sew in a few key places and you can turn the 2-D graphic into a 3-D accessory. Oo-la-la!

No comments: